Monday, September 13, 2010

Doctor's Office

Let's talk about the doctor's office.  Cooper had his two month appointment today, and this appointment is not very fun because it is the first time babies get shots.  Cooper and I signed in at the desk, anti bacterial gelled my hands, and started walking down the hall to go to the seating area.  As I was walking and carrying Cooper in his car seat I begin to scan the waiting area for two reasons.  Reason number one- how busy is it, will this take long.  Reason number two- where do I want to sit.  Today it was very busy and there were no seats where you didn't have to sit next to anyone.  Don't get me wrong, I am not a loner, but I don't like to sit next to anyone at the doctor's office.  I was going in with a healthy baby I wanted to come out with one too!  I start looking.  I dodge the kids that are coughing and the parents that look like they have been up all night with a sick kid.  I also dodge the kids that look like they should be in school and are too old for well baby check ups.  I look for the baby car seats. I see a mom with a five week old baby.  SCORE!  I felt very good about my choice of where to sit.  As I sat waiting to be called back, I start to people watch and maybe a little ease dropping.  I am glad I didn't sit next to the kid with strep throat and the other with pneumonia, but I still clutch on to Cooper hoping no one comes close to him or I.  I notice one kid rolling on the nasty waiting room floor.  GROSS!  Another kid is talking to a toddler he does not know and touches the toddlers lid on his cup.  I am relived when Cooper and I get called back.  Call me cautious or afraid of germs, but I got a baby to protect.  If we come home with a sickness we are quarantined in our house for two weeks at the shortest, and after a winter of being locked in the house for six weeks with back and forth sickness between the twins, I am more extreme.
Sweet Cooper
Waiting at the doctor's office.

We got into the doctor's office, and sweet baby Cooper got weighed and measured.  He was perfect, but that is not news to me. :)  In between when the nurse was in the room and when the doctor came in Cooper and I had some one on one time.  Who ever said having one baby was hard?  I am here to tell you after having twins, one baby is nothing!  The doctor came in, we talked, and she walked out to go get the nurse to give Cooper shots.  Cooper and I had a little talk.  I told him even though this was going to be hard for the both of us, it is better for him to get the shot to protect him.  I am serious, I spoke out loud and told him that.  I think it made me feel better.  Cooper did great.  He did cry, but as soon as I picked him up and put the lifesaver that is the pacifier in his mouth he calmed down.

During that doctor's appointment, Cooper and I had an hour together just the two of us, and though it was neither of our favorite place to be, I enjoyed every single minute of being with my sweet baby.  He is such a good little baby.  Seriously, why do people complain about having just one baby?

1 comment:

  1. I am the same way at the doctors office. I wait until I absolutely have to go because I hate getting something while I am there. Love your stories about your boys. I have been a nanny for quite a few years and after nannying for a family with twins it seems like one baby is so easy.
    Taylor Boso

    ReplyDelete